Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sarah Dylan


The day started off with an early trip to Queen Street West. Arriving at the peak hours of the morning, there were no crowds, no noise, and no cars. We attended Starbucks and had our breakfast, getting ready to shop the day away. Around 11:30 we headed down to the Much Music building to meet up with promising artist Sarah Dylan. The sun was on her side, and she showed up with a smile, glad to be there. We searched around for a quiet place and decided to sit on the furniture inside the furniture store Umbra. Convincing the sales associate that we’d only be a couple of minutes, she gladly agreed and let us sit where we liked. Escaping away from the chaos of the streets we got a closer look to how Sarah ended up to where she is now, and where shed like to be in the future. Her sparkling personality, and positive music, lets us believe she can conquer the music scene. After the interview we left the store, Sarah asking if we could get some Starbucks. Of course we didn’t say no, and went in to try LIGHTS favourite drink, tea with caramel shots. Sarah liked it, and the drinks were a perfect way to end the interview. We then walked around Queen, went into a couple of shops, I myself bought some boots which I am proud of. After a couple hours we departed, promising to stay in touch. We have high hopes for Sarah, check out this interview and you’ll see why.

Acid City - What inspired you to start writing music?

Well basically emotional experiences, I had to write music as my therapy. I started writing music when I was seven. The first time I wrote a song was when my boyfriend broke up with me in seventh grade and those emotional experiences made me feel like I had to do it.

Acid City - What is your favourite instrument to play?

Definitely guitar because I can bring it around with me to all my shows, where as keyboard you gotta lug it around and its heavy. I had a piano in my brothers room and id go in and play even before I started playing guitar, and he’d always use to yell at me! So a guitar I can always keep it in my room and not bother anyone.

Acid City - Which song is most important and personal to you?

Probably the song not enough that I wrote. It’s about how you don’t have to be perfect.

Acid City - How was the experience performing in charity concerts?

I was in two charity concerts and it was so good to try and raise money for people less fortunate. It was a great experience.

Acid City - Where is your dream location to play a show?

Definitely the Air Canada Center

Acid City - Wow that’s so awesome! High hopes! Watch in a few years we’ll see you performing there, that would be amazing. If you could play at the ACC what would be your dream band to share the stage with?

City in Colour, Dallas Green. My favourite artist, and it would be so amazing to be at his level. To play on a stage with him would be awesome. I saw him at the MVAs and I was like “DALLAS!” and he didn’t look at me. It was raining, I got completely soaked but I met Flo Rida! I gave him my CD and I put my number on it.

Acid City - Haha! That’s so genius definitely a smart idea. So how hard have you worked to be where you are right now?

Really really hard, I play a lot of instruments. I play the Viola, the Guitar and the Piano, a little bit of Drums but not really. I literally practice music all day every day pretty much. I’m in choir, orchestra, I do music music music.

Acid City - That’s a good sign because it shows that your not tired of it yet, which shows your passion towards music. What advice can you give to new artists starting out?

Definitely they should write music, because a lot of people can play music, but writing your own song is taking a bit to the next level. Also get out there as much as possible, play lots and lots of shows, because you just get better and better and better.

Acid City - Yeah, a big thing is the promotional side of it.

Sarah- Yeah definitely facebook and the myspace, post your songs on the internet.

Acid City - How did you figure out the words and music to your song? As in how did you know it felt good and it fit, and that people like it?

I’ve just been studying music for the longest time; even before I started my own songs, id literally study songs that I liked. I learned a lot of theory, like key signatures, making sure all the notes fit together, you cant put notes that don’t match. I’ve heard a lot of songs on myspace where the notes are wrong.

Acid City - What message do you want your music to convey?

Definitely just a positive message for young women. It sounds pretty bad but most of my songs are about how boys suck.

Acid City - No its true trust me both of us know.

Basically it’s about how girls should be able to do whatever they want, and they don’t have to listen to what boys tell them to do.

Acid City - Completely makes sense. So you’re around our age, do you find it hard balancing your music with school?

Sooo much. It’s crazy, this year especially. I’m in choir, which is also part of school, and I also take music and vocals. Definitely practicing for shows I have to really really manage my time well. I was with a band for a bit, just me and another guitarist, and after school I would go over to his house and practice for five hours and then I would not do any homework that night and then I would have to do all my homework the next night. And then id practice again during the whole week of the show. So if the show was on Saturday; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday id be at his house. For five hours every night practicing.

Acid City - How was the show you just played on Sunday, did it go well?

Yeah, it was crazy, a lot of kids from my school came and they don’t usually come.

Acid City - Aw so you got a lot of support, you have your own support team behind you. What’s your favourite song to perform live?

Probably the same one as the most important to me, Not Enough. I think it has just a positive message and I like to perform it. And also the guitar part its really cool. Most of my songs are just basic chords; this song actually shows off my guitar skill, rather than my singing.

Acid City - Now how was the experience playing your first show?

Well I've been performing since I was little, so my first show I don’t really remember. I remember when I was five and six I would never be nervous at all, I used to perform a lot. But my first show performing my own original material was probably the scariest thing in my whole life. I was shaking on stage.

Acid City - Oh man, how did that turnout?

People thought it was good, but I thought it went really badly. I was really really scared.

Acid City - Do you think things have improved since then?

Yeah for sure, when I play shows now I'm not nervous at all. The more that I play, the easier it gets to perform.

Acid City - So is there anything you do to prepare before a show? Anything to pump you up, any pump up songs?

I never ever practice the day of. Then you jinx yourself, every time I practice the day of the show I mess up.

Acid City - Yeah, you psych yourself out right?

Exactly, so if I'm not ready that day, then I'm not going to be ready. I practice a lot the days before and then the day of I don’t really do anything. I just hang out with friends, go watch a movie, and then I maybe pick out a really nice outfit.

Acid City - Haha there you go, awesome. So favourite store, talking about outfits?

I really like Winners.

Acid City - Winners, wooo! So talk or text?

Talk. Acid City - Yeah I completely agree. Favourite thing to doodle?

I’m not really much of an artist but I draw shapes. Like lines. Oh and flowers! I like drawing faces, like funny faces with big eyes. Aliens too.

Acid City - Alright so facebook or myspace?

Both, because myspace is a lot better for people I don’t actually know, just to get my music out there. All my friends on myspace I don’t necessarily know, but it’s so cool that people are listening to my music, and I don’t even know them. And then facebook is more personal life for my close friends.

Acid City - Favourite book or author?

Its called the World is Flat. It’s about economics, and it’s actually really helped me with my music.

Acid City - And how’s that?

It teaches about how anywhere in the world, everyone is connected, that’s what it means by the “world is flat”. It’s like how everyone in the world can hear my music.

Acid City - Has reading it influenced you to think or act differently in any way?

Yeah, like before I just had my CD and I didn’t need to have a myspace, and it made me realize that once I put my music on the internet, everyone can hear it.

Acid City - Yeah it’s a free for all and anyone can tune in. So what can we expect in the future?

Definitely more songs and more shows.

Acid City - And Why should people listen to your music?

I think just because it has a positive message, its fun to listen to. I have different songs for different moods. I just wrote a happy song for the first time. It’s different because I write when I'm emotional, so when I have sad experiences I write about them but recently I wrote a happy song.

Acid City - Are you getting ready to perform that too?

Well I performed it at my last show. Everyone was so surprised. And I just set up a studio in my room, so my new songs are gonna be more upbeat and you can dance to them.

Acid City - Well thank you for your time and I'm sure we’ll be hearing from you shortly!


Official Myspace : www.myspace.com/sarahdylanmusic

No comments: