Saturday, April 18, 2009

Cut Throat Kids: Jessica



This new group from Toronto really know how to get an audience going. From their catchy melodies to their amazing guitar riffs, the future looks bright in the music scene. Cut Throat Kids are the real thing, and im more than positive you'll be just as impressed as I am. I got the opportunity to have an amazing interview with lead singer Melissa, here is what she had to say:


1) So how did you guys all come together?

The band auditioned a bunch of singers and luckily I was one of the ones that got to audition! It was a perfect match right from that moment.

2) Where does the name Cut Throat Kids come from?

We spent a lot of time trying to figure out a great name, and after lots of reading and research we finally put together this name... I think we mixed it up from some Shakespeare and some other things.

3) When did you decide that you guys wanted to become an official band?

Right from the beginning. I think right off the bat we all knew what we wanted and it was just a unanimous decision that this was going to be a serious venture for a long time!

4) Which specific audience are you trying to reach through your music?

We shoot for anyone between 12-25 but of course we just want to reach anyone that can relate to the messages we put out through the music. We have fans over 50! and I think it is great haha :)

5) Tyler, I understand you had a previous band, how have things changed musically for you since then?

Things have definitely gotten a lot more serious, and also I have gone through some crazy jazz vocal training as well as working on my technique a lot more.

6) If you could choose somewhere to perform where would it be?

Oh god, well of course I will firstly say the ACC would be amazing, but even somewhere like the Kool Haus... I actually think I would love to play outside at Warped Tour... that would be win.

7) Dream band to share the stage with?

Uh oh... THE BEATLES hahaha no i'm kidding ummm you know I think I would love to share the stage with Radiohead but I dont think that will ever happen cause... We are COMPLETELY different music styles... but wow, Radiohead sure put on an amazing live show

8) Where do you hope this music will bring you?

Everywhere, I hope we can take it around the world over and over, and I think I would especially love to go to Japan!

9) What inspires you to write your catchy melodies and lyrics?

Oh gosh, just everything that happens in my life, even things I see in other people's lives... For example, 'Grounded' is about a bad failing relationship I was in for too long, whereas "Feed Me" is about a friend of mine's negative experience with drugs. Once in a while I write about random things that don't make sense though... I like mixing things up!

10) Best experience as a band so far?

Personally it was putting together our first set for our first show. The songs all came together so well and we finished them all up so nice, and I felt so accomplished... it was awesome!

11) How was it like performing for the first time as a band?

Oh god it was incredible, it worked out so well... I almost got smoked with a guitar though, so we learned to get some minor choreography after that haha! But no, it was awesome, I think the best 'first show' we could of asked for, especially at the Opera House!

12) Anything in particular that you do to prepare for a show?

I like to go over the set a few times in my head, really visualize what I want it to be like, down to every movement. Then I like to try and laugh at as much as I can to unwind and get excited about the show. I usually eat something really greasy first too, which is ALWAYS a bad choice but it seems to be the ritual now haha.

13) Favourite place to go on a Friday night?

I'm occasionally known as a dance cave junkie :( but I am such a loser these days, Friday nights usually see me at home watching a movie!!

14) Current favourite hang out spot?

The jam space is fun to hang out at, as is any of my friend's houses! Out downtown though, Green Room is always awesome.

15) If you could pick any super power which would it be?

I WANT TO FLYYYYYYYYY

16) Description of your practice space?

Big open garage with couches, a nintendo, a microwave and a fridge, and all of our stuff, with incense always burning and the lights always dimmed... oh yeah, we set the mood

17) Emergency energy comes from?

Calvin (the drummer)

18) Favourite author and why?

Chuck Palahniuk cause he is gross and amazing

19) What makes a good party?

Good people!!

20) What makes a good gig?

Again, Good people!!!! An active audience makes the best nights :) So come dance with us!!

www.myspace.com/wearethecuthroatkids

No comments: