Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Rodeo:Jessica


1) Can you explain to us what the name " The Rodeo" means?

A friend of mine came up with this name. It’s actually an anagram of my name, Dorothée, and it’s perfect as it’s reminiscent of folk music.

2) If it’s possible, do you think you could classify your music?

My music is a mix between sailing/children’s/love/drinking songs.

3) When you discovered the guitar in your uncle’s attic, did you ever think it would become such a big part of your life?

This guitar was such a revelation for me when I discovered it. I still play guitar at least 15 minutes every day! But I didn’t know at the time that it would be a big part of my life, because my mom always said: “studies first”!

4) What inspires you to write? And what comes first lyrics, music, or both?

Music comes first. In fact, I hear melodies in my head and I do my best to transpose them in a song. I can find inspiration in everything. In a book, a movie, a city I’ve visited, a story a friend told me….

5) Has growing up in your area influenced your fan base as well as the sound of your music?

I’ve never really listened to typical French music, except a handful of classics such as Gainsbourg, Dutronc, Bashung, Françoise Hardy… I've been more influenced by Anglo-Saxon music. But there are great musicians in Paris and we all grew up helping each other, sharing the same stage. In that sense, they have certainly influenced me.

6) Do you think it has influenced you in the sense of the music industry?

Everyone knows that Paris is not the best city for indie rock bands. If you’re a DJ, if you do rap or if you play typical French music, that works better. Indie rockers here have to be very determined to make a living from their music or to export themselves, way more than in America or England.

7) As an artist what are your biggest dreams?

To make a living from my art as long as I can, meet great people, travel around the world with my music… Success in itself is not really my priority…

8) Do you have a favourite singer or band you'd love to share the stage with someday?

There are so many! If I limit myself to singers who are still alive: Patti Smith, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Neil Young…

9) What are your anticipations for your upcoming tour? Any particular location you’re especially excited to play at?

I’m always very excited to play abroad. It is an enormous challenge to myself.
Playing in Texas under the name The Rodeo is kind of strange; I hope the audience will appreciate it! Otherwise, I’m looking forward to playing in Montreal, where many of my friends live now!

10) Do you do anything different to prepare for a show?

A glass of red wine and a few singing exercises is the bare minimum. No prayer, no mascot!

11) What do you think to yourself right before you step out on stage? Get off stage?

The first two songs are always hard. I always try to seem confident. I love playing live and sometimes I’m sad when I have to get off stage.

12) Any bad experiences while playing?

Once the electricity went out during my show. The owner decided to put me outside the bar on a table. The audience came out too and it was quite fun!

13) Some of your videos are extremely artistic. Does art influence your music and yourself?

Nowadays, videos are more and more important. Every artist must control his image, because with Internet everything goes pretty fast. I’m very lucky to be surrounded by talented friends who work with me: a video director, graphic designer, photographers… They influence me in the same way that I maybe influence them. They all succeed in creating a world that resembles me.

Think Quick:

14) Fashion is :_superficial but I like it like every Parisian girl!_______
15) Soul is _: indivisible from what we really are, except if it is sold to the devil____
16) Dig to china or free float in space? A free float in space, I’ve always wanted to be a cosmonaut!
17) Train or Plane? I always feel sick in a train. I love planes!!!!!!
18) Analog or digital? Analog, even if digital is so magical!
19) What makes a great party? Great people
20) Describe The Rodeo in one word_____Chivalrous__


http://www.myspace.com/iamtherodeo

No comments: