Monday, April 27, 2009

The Madness of the Sqaure Review: Alene


“The Madness of the Square” is the true story of the 1989 revolution in Tiananmen Square in Beijing, China.  Four friends and students stand up for what they believe in and go on an incredible journey together in this remarkable play.  It was written by Marjorie Chan and directed by Ruth Madoc-Jones. 

I personally do not enjoy movies, plays, television shows, or anything that deals with historical events; I find them tedious. I found “The Madness of the Square” started off slow, which failed to catch my attention. However, in the middle of this short 90-100 minute play, it started getting interesting. Romances were formed and true feelings towards one another were established. The passion and emotion that was portrayed for making a better China was incredible and influential to any student. The use of a small stage and props was extremely efficient and perfect and showing the story line.

The cast was what intrigued me the most. Their energy was astounding! They kept me captivated and on the edge of my seat.  I’d recommend people to go see this show just so they can watch the actors.  Each actor brought a different element to the show.  My personal favourite was the character of Ding-Ding, played by Shannon Kook-Chun.  He was able to bring humour and excitement into all the appropriate parts.

No matter what age or interest, I recommend going to watch this play.  It wouldn’t be my first choice but if you’re in the area or feel like learning a lot about the 1989 revolution in China, it’s all yours.

 

For further information you can visit the website at www.factorytheatre.ca or call

(416) 504 9971.

No comments: