Saturday, April 18, 2009

Liz Stott: Jessica


While traveling around the UK we not only got the chance to see some great sites, but also to take in the cultural aspect. London had tons of things to offer from art to fashion to music. While stumbling across a homey pub called the Ivy, we accidentally ran into an emotional artist: Liz Stott. She sat on a stool alone with her friend and her guitar, singing with a slow, meaningful passion. Her lyrics were dark, powerful and moving, and we froze as soon as we got in the door. "Get her info! Get her info!" Cristina yelled in my ear over the defining music. Staying true to my instinct...I did. Ladies and gentleman of Canada, I introduce you to Liz Stott!


1) What inspired you to write your first song?

Well I used to play trumpet in a band called The Argonauts a few years ago, so I would say it was their song writing ability that inspired me to pick up a guitar and give it a go myself! Also my dad is a jazz musician and so there has always been guitars kicking about the house growing up, so one day I decided to pick one up and I just started writing on it, coming up with random little riffs that I eventually turned into songs and added lyrics to.

2) What message do you want your music to convey to listeners?

I want my listeners to get a real feeling of story-telling in my songs. I write about things that have happened to me, my friends, fictional stories or even ideas taken from books or poems I like. I like my songs to have a feeling of escapism and I find writing very therapeutic, a way of me to express what I'm thinking or feeling at the time I write it and I hope that mood translates into my music, in a soulful and heartfelt way.


3) Has living in London influenced the way your music sounds?

Yeah I reckon it definately has. From gigging around London I have played with and seen such a variety of musicians, that I properly wouldn't have had the chance to if I was not living in the city. Also the pace of life is so fast and exciting in London, I think that encourages me to work harder and do more live shows.

4) What is the most challenging part of being a musician?

Erm I think the most challenging part of being a musician is the element of luck and timing that it takes to make it in the industry as it is at the moment. What music is popular changes so quickly that if you miss your chance it is very hard to climb your way back up. I have known bands to seem like they are on the brink of breaking into the industry in a massive way, but then the promotion side has failed or taken too long and they missed their chance.


5) Do you have any other hobbies besides music?

Yeah well I'm currently doing a degree in fashion illustration at The London College of Fashion, and I work freelance as an illustrator under my company name 'DiscoBetty Illustrations'. I love drawing and music so much and if I didn't have a creative outlet I think I would probably shoot myself! I am definately not one to work doing something boring and conventinal, I think I accepted that pretty early on, so that made me all the more keen to succeed doing something I love and am passionate about.


6) Best and worst part of playing gigs?

Erm the worst part about playing gigs is for me the elements that you can't control, like if the sound at the venue is bad or the other musicians playing on the bill that night are completely different to you, like I recently had to play with some heavy metal band and go on straight after them with my acoustic guitar! But I love playing live and the best part for me is just getting a response from the crowd and getting to play my songs to people that haven't heard me before. I love performing and I think it is the best thing about being a musician.

7) Favourite band or artist at the moment?

I listen to a lot of old stuff to be honest, mainly from the 60's era but I have a really diverse music taste! Some of my favourite artists are The Strokes, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Davy Graham, Nick Drake, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Pj Harvey, Love, Television, Supergrass and The Broken Family Band.

8) Favourite show performed to date? worst? and why?

Erm my favourite shows I have played have been my two most recent at the Ivy House In Holborn. It's a great, relaxed venue with good sound and always lots of fun! All the acts end up getting up and jamming together at the end of the night and it's always a good laugh. My worst gig was prob the one I mentioned when I had to play with a bunch of heavy rock bands, although it was still a good learning curve haha.

9) Where do you hope to go with your music?

I hope to just gig more and more and I am currently writing a bunch of new songs which I hope to be performing soon. Furthermore I am going into the studio again and I am planning on releasing a music video. I want to get a full band together for the live shows and just give it everything I got!

10)If you could tell the world about your music in one word, what would that be?

 Bosh!!

11) My name is Liz and: I just ate a tuna melt and it was goood.

http://www.myspace.com/lizstottmusic

No comments: